We are committed to equipping your wife to serve along side you, while you are in school and in your future ministry. The Seminary Wives' Discipleship program is an association of students' wives, faculty wives, and the wives of Grace Church pastors and elders.
The purpose of the organization is to:
- Enrich each wife's devotion to God.
- Enrich her marriage and family through study of the Word and profitable literature.
- Enrich her personal development through small group discipleship, accountability, and support.
- Equip her for future ministry alongside her husband by providing materials, resources, and practical training in women's ministry.
Meetings are held each Wednesday for the first ten weeks during a semester. Baby-sitting is provided for pre-schoolers. Older children can attend AWANA, Jr. High or Sr. High programs. In typical meetings, time is devoted to each of the following:
- Encouragement and motivation through a period of worship and devotion.
- Instruction with regard to a particular skill.
- Participation in a study of God's Word and in discussion of a book relating to a topic of practical value for wives.
- Mutual support in a period of prayer for one another; additional special activities are occasionally sponsored by the group.
As one of the Seminary Wives' leaders, Mary Somerville, has said in her book, One with A Shepherd - The Tears and Triumphs of a Ministry Marriage:
"Perhaps you never dreamed of being a pastor's wife and you were caught by surprise when your husband changed careers and entered ministry. Whether or not you see yourself as especially gifted or prepared for your role, God put you together with your husband intentionally and purposefully so you could partner with him, as your husband's helper ‘suitable for him' (Gen. 2:18). God gave you to your husband just as certainly as He gave Eve to Adam. You were given to him so as to uniquely help him perform the ministry to which God has called him."
Apply all due diligence in your search for a seminary, but don't forget your wife! She too needs to be prepared for her role as well. It was said of the great missionary team of Hudson and Maria Taylor, "Undoubtedly, the overriding factor in their marriage was an equal uninhibited loyalty to their vocation. Without Maria, Hudson never could have embarked on his life's work."